Porta Bohemica or the Czech Gate is a name for a canyon valley of Labe, which created an entry of the river into CHKO. Geographically, it is a 4km-long section between villages of Velké Žernoseky and Libochovany. Here banks of Labe are lined with rock slopes and steep rock walls with many view points offering wonderful panoramic views of the valley with Labe and surrounding hills of České středohoří.
However, Porta Bohemica does not only represent an imaginary natural gate. This name is used for the whole area of local micro region situated on both banks of Labe.
Variety of geological and climatic conditions in Porta Bohemica region enables existence of broad spectrum of plant kinds, including the most ecologically challenging ones. Existence of more than 100 especially protected kinds of plants is registered in here. These plants are significant part of Central-European community (e.g. grass stands of savannah character with kavylas, communities of the so-called white hill sides,etc.)
Local landscape is interesting also because of its convenient natural and climatic conditions – it was inhabited very early and permanently. Density of human homes was rather large and we can find more than 400 of various sizes, grouped in 115 units. Due to thousands of years of history, there are many historical monuments and places of interest. Heritage of popular architecture is significant. It was represented by 3 techniques – brick, frame and timbered house. From the second half of 19th century, fruit growing started to develop, acquired high quality level and became the typical feature of landscape character in the whole area - that’s why the region of Porta Bohemica is often called “a Czech Garden”.
Lovoš is a basaltic hill located near the town of Lovosice, on boarders with České středohoří and Polabí. Its peak lies in 570 metres and offers beautiful views of hills in České středohoří and area of Polabské Lowlands. When looking at Lovoš, its 2-cone-shape is apparent. The smaller one, Malý Lovoš, is also called Kybička (489 m). Contrary to its bigger brother “Velký Lovoš”, it is made of phonolit. The name “Lovoš” is of old Slavonian origin, derived from a tribe of Lovosians or Lovošians, who inhabited this area with high probability.
On the peak of Lovoš there is a tourist hut, which was opened in July 1892, in property of The Club of Czech Tourists at the moment. During the Second World War, the hut was used as a German observatory. After the War it was abandoned and deteriorated. In 1977 its reconstruction began and four years later it went into partial operation again. The hut is now opened at the weekend during the whole year. Refreshments and sleeping accommodation are available there.
South and southwest parts of the mountain consist of rock and detritus parts with grass savannas and bushy vegetation. On the other hand, northwest and northeast sides of Lovoš consist of detritus forest. The mountain is also home of many protected plants, e.g. Dictamnus albus, Iris aphylla, Pulsatilla pratensis, Anthericum liliago. In the lower part of the mountain near Lovosice, there are large fruit orchards and vineyards.
Climbing the mountain is possible from four sides. The first one is from Opárenské Valley following the yellow marks and is connected with a blue line on the slope of Lovoš, where it continues. The second option is the blue line directly from Opárno. The third one begins in village Bílinka also on the yellow line but in the other direction, leading into the blue line. The fourth option is not marked but is accessible from Lovosice. Through Opárenské Valley and Kybička there is an educational trail Lovoš leading to the mountain peak.
It characteristic shape with “bitten silhouette” was caused by rock-mining, which uncovered most of the western part of the hill. A mine wall with specific basaltic columns, southern slopes covered with special vegetation (Verbascum phoeniceum, Anthericum liliago, Astralagus exscapus) are objects of protection as a Natural Monument of Radobýl. It was announced in 1992 and it covers the area of 4,88 hectares.
The tourist trail with marks leads both from south from Žalhostice and north from a road from Litoměřice. From the peak of Radobýl with a robust cross there is almost a round view of Litoměřice, Terezín, Píšťanské Lake, Lovosice and neighbouring part of České středohoří.
North of Radobýl, under the neighbouring uphill Bídnice, thereis a mine called “Richard”, founded in 1864 for thepurpose of calcite-mine. During the SecondWorld Was it was used by Nazis as an underground factory – production of aviation components. In this part of concentration camp Flossenbürg more than 18 thousand prisoners worked in inhuman conditions. This period is still evoked by a building of former camp crematory (near the point where road from Litoměřice crosses the railway-track). The space underground is mostly collapsed. Since December 2001 the mine has been closed to public.
Kamýk is a name for a village (Kamýk near Litoměřice), a basaltic hill near this village and also name for ruins of gothic castle located on the hill peak. Ruins of Kamýk castle belonged to the medieval group of castles using their inaccessible location as their great advantage. However, this “advantage” lead into its abandonment in periods of peace.
The Kamýk castle was firstly mentioned in 1319, when King Jan Lucemburský gave it to Jindřich from Kamýk as a hereditary property. Obviously, the king was interested in the castle very much – it guarded (along with Střekov) the water way of Labe. Jindřich from Kamýk was probably the founder of the castle and we can find many mentions about him until 1347. After this year the castle changed its owners many times. They used it mainly due to its strategic location and army significance. Its last owner from the Kamýcký family from Lstiboř was Jan Jiří, who sold the manor to Heřman Černín from Chudenice in 1628 and went abroad. The ultimate point of its history represents year 1632, when the castle was defeated and devastated by a Saxon army. The family of Černín then added the abandoned castle to their Lovosice manor – since then it has shared its fate.
The castle Kamýk used to stand on steep basaltic knot (382 m.) above a village with the same name, northwest of Litoměřice. Its main living and defensive object was a pentagonal tower on the very top of the rock. It was accessible thanks to a staircase leading from west through narrow rock gap. Originally, one of the extinguished walls created an entry to the gate. In 1547 the castle walls were extended; one new castle circuit was added on the south side with a new palace with big windows. On north and northeast, there was a ditch and wall disabling access. There were cellars cut into rock under the castle.
Nowadays there is only a torso left – part of pentagonal tower building on top of the rock, with traces of circuit walls and southern wall with three windows. The ruins are ramshackle and are not systematically repaired. Castle ruins are open to public all around the year. Its visit is not very safe – on the other and it can be an adventurous experience
Žernosecké or Píšťanské Lake is a man-made lake on 90 hectares located between Velké Žernoseky, Píšťany a Žalhostice in Litoměřice region on the right bank of river Labe – practically right under Radobýl mountain. On the opposite left bank of Labe there is Lovosice town. This water surface originates in 1950s and 1960s, created by flooding of former sand-pit. Local sand was used for building of great water works on Vltava, especially Slaps and Orlické water dams. The lake has got a pentagonal shape with 1 km in diameter. There are three small islands.
Origins of the lake are also influenced by configuration of individual river degrees of Labe. The weir on Labe is situated in Ústí nad Labem (Střekovská water dam) – this river degree includes also the so-called Žernosecké Lake. Next to the last river degree is Lovosický weir, which stops water between towns České Kopisty and Lovosice in Litoměřice region. There are both a junction of Labe and Ohře and Litoměřice town itself. Lovosický weir is situated only half a kilometre (by air-line) from Žernosecké Lake. It is very likely that the water from Labe naturally leaks through sand sub-soil because of pressure of water fall from the higher river degree nearby.
Nowadays the lake serves as a natural open-air pool with a beautiful sand beach as well as a holiday water surface for water sports. On the lake there is also an international public port with anchoring for approximately 50 boats, hotel and restaurant. The lake is also accessible by road leading from Litoměřice to Ústí nad Labem, by train between Lovosice and Litoměřice – station Žalhostice, by ferry from Lovosice or by ship.
Opárenské Valley is situated north from Lovosice under the hill of Lovoš. Originally, Opárenské Valley included the whole valley from Velemín, these days Opárenské Valley means only the lower part between Opárno and Žernoseky. Along Milešovský stream, which runs through its area, it is possible to enjoy pleasant and easy 5km long walk. Upper part of the valley consists of meadows, middle and lower parts consist mainly of forest and rocks. Its hill-side is lined by local railway track Lovosice – Teplice – in its upper part we can see robust bridge arches of motorway D8.
In the past a few mills clapped in here. The first one was called Císařský Mill near Malé Žernoseky. It was followed by Mádrův Mill, one of the oldest ones with 50m-deep cellar, which was active even during the Second World War. At the war time food was also stored in there. Other mills followed: Černoúdolní, Německý, Nový, Horákův and Kačírkův. Nowadays it is still possible to see several original mill races.
In Opárenské Valley we can find also ruins of Opárno Castle. This not very big castle was founded in the end of 13th century or in the beginning of 14th century on a rocky place above Opárno village by Mr. Smil from Vchynice. It originated on the same place where an older fort, called Hrádek, stood – near a business way between Prague and Saxon, mentioned already in1278. Its ground plan is square (46x15m). Its name “Oparno” is first dated in 1356 as a second name of Mr. Smil from Vchynice, who was an ancestor of Kinský family. Due to this fact we can estimate the castle was founded by knights from Vchynice. Although they owned it until the beginning of the 16th century, it deteriorated. The situation did not improve after change of owners - masters from Vřesovice and Boritové from Martinice.
In 1520 the castle was completely abandoned. A notice from 1536 informs about “abandoned castle”. Since then the castle has been left to its destiny and today we take it as “ruins”. These days only several parts can be found in there: traces of circuit walls, arched cellar, northern part of the entry palace and defensive ditches. Ruins are open to public and offer direct view of Milešovka and peak of Lovoš. Below the ruins Milešovský stream hums. There is also a special legend about a knight connected with Opárno Castle. When the knightwas on his way from hunting, his wifeshould have been waiting for him with a jug of frothy drink. However, she did not like his drinking habit and decided to disgust it to him. When she saw him approaching, she dropped a frog in the jug. The knight drank it and the question : “How did you like the taste?” answered with : “like swallowing a hop leaf!”.
In Opárenské Valley there is an educational trail beginning in Malé Žernoseky. From Malé Žernoseky yellow tourist line comes, though, it bends soon at Císařské schody and rises to the peak of Lovoš. From Velemín to Opárno blue line leads through the upper part, green line runs through the lower part of valley – from Chotiměř to Malé Žernoseky.
The trip ship Porta Bohemica has been ploughing waves of Labe since 2008. It runs between towns Štětí and Ústí nad Labem, calling at Štětí, Roudnice nad Labem (Komora), Litoměřice (U Mlýna), Lovosice (Na Osmičce), Žernosecké (Píšťanské) Lake in the area of Marina Labe, Velké Žernoseky (U Přívozu) and Ústí nad Labem – Vaňov.
The ferry runs between Malé and Velké Žernoseky. In Malé Žernoseky it is situated near the railway station, at the pub called “At the ferry” and on the other bank of Labe near on the outskirts of Velké Žernoseky. People are transported by a little steam-boat called Ludmila, named after the mayor of Velké Žernoseky, Ms. Ludmila Pafetová.
The ferry runs every 30 minutes from May till September between 7-19 o’clock, in July and August on Friday, Saturday and Sunday between 7-21 o’clock. From October till April the ferry runs from Monday to Thursday between 7-17 o’clock, on Saturday and Sunday between 7-18 o’clock. One adult ticket costs 15- CZK, youngsters up to 18 years old pay 10,- CZK and children under 6 travel for free. A bike, a dog or a pram cost 5, - CZK.
Ferry Lovosice runs from castle Lovosice to the other bank of Labe – to Žernosecké (Píšťanské) Lake.
Visitors can use the ferry in summertime (May-September) between 8-20 o’clock – every 30 minutes. The capacity of boat Tramín is 12 persons and it is also possible to transport bicycles, too. Adult ticket costs 15,- CZK, children 10,- CZK and bicycle 5,- CZK.
Marina Labe is an international public port situated on the side of Píšťanské Lake. Visitors can use area with landing place for 50 boats, Hotel Marina (rents for various social events possible), restaurant with Czech and French cuisine and car camp with its own sand beach and all needed facilities.
Marina Labe is open every day:
- Lower restaurant: 10-22 o’clock
- Kitchen: 10-21.30 o’clock
- Reception desk: 7.30-20 o’clock
The Labská Trail is one of few international cycling paths, which leads over our territory. The path starts in Prague and continues along river Vltava, via Kralupy nad Vltavou to Mělník, where it runs on the right bank of Labe via Litoměřice and Ústí nad Labem to Děčín. Behind the lowest point of the Czech Republic – Dolní Žleb – it leaves our country and connects to the German part, leading via Pirna to Drážďany. The track has 216 km in total and is a part of European net of cycling tracks EuroVelo. Labská Trail is not completely done and its final look is still being created.
Town information centre Litoměřice is situated in the city centre – on Mírové Square under a tower reminding a chalice.
|May - September||October - April||Address:|
|Mo||9:00 - 18:00||9:00 - 17:00||Mírové náměstí 16/8a|
|Tu||9:00 - 18:00||9:00 - 17:00||412 01 Litoměřice|
|We||9:00 - 18:00||9:00 - 17:00|
|Th||9:00 - 18:00||9:00 - 17:00||Tel.: +420 416 732 440|
|Fr||9:00 - 18:00||9:00 - 17:00|
|Sa||9:00 - 18:00||9:00 - 12:00||E-mail: email@example.com|
|Su||9:00 - 18:00||closed||Skype: InfoLTM|
Town information centre Lovosice is situated in the city centre – near the tower of town hall, opposite the municipal office.
|May - September||October - April||Address:|
|Mo||8:00 - 17:00||8:00 - 17:00||Osvoboditelů 109/12|
|Tu||8:00 - 17:00||8:00 - 16:00||410 30 Lovosice|
|We||8:00 - 17:00||8:00 - 17:00|
|Th||8:00 - 17:00||8:00 - 16:00||Tel.: +420 416 536 677|
|Fr||8:00 - 17:00||8:00 - 15:00||Fax: +420 416 533 494|
|Sa||8:00 - 12:00||closed||E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|